Friday, June 6, 2008

Two Years to the Day

Here's an odd memory that occurred to me today.

June 6th, 2006. It was a Tuesday. The remake of Richard Donner's excellent The Omen came out that day. Despite terrible reviews, I was itching to see it, mostly because the release date was too good to pass up. Come on, how often does a movie about the son of the devil come out on 6/6/6? Instead, I was stuck at my job at a GameStop that night.

By the time I got off work, it was still 9 o'clock in the evening, but my interest had already faded. I had a better plan. I'd found a copy of the original film on the store's DVD shelf (way back when they still dealt in movies), and used one of my employee perks to borrow it for the night.

So instead of seeing the remake (which, it turned out, WAS god awful), I ended up watching the original in the confines of my own dark bedroom. It was a thoroughly spooky experience, and one I'm glad I had, if only so I could say I saw The Omen on 6/6/6.


And what did I see today? Kung Fu Panda. That review will be next time.

No comments: