Wednesday, October 22, 2008

October 22nd: The Monster Squad (1987)

Here's another movie that I came to way late in the game. Just about a year ago, actually. Of course, I can remember being very little (4 or 5), and my older cousin (8 or 9) telling me all about this really cool monster movie where they blow up the wolfman with a stick of dynamite. It took me 17 years to see what the hell he was talking about, but I finally did, and I gotta say, I really liked it, even at the age of 21.

Basically, Count Dracula enlists The Mummy, The Wolfman, Frankenstein's monster , and the Gillman into helping him find an amulet that will help him take over the world. The only ones who can stop them? Yup. The Monster Squad: a group of kids who know everything there is to know about classic monster movies.


I'd like to take this opportunity and nominate The Monster Squad for "Geekiest Movie Ever Made". The way the kids banter and argue about monsters may not seem revolutionary or anything today, but it's exactly the way MY friends and I talked about this kind of stuff as kids. I remember it vividly. The movie plays like a weird sister story to The Goonies. It's silly, but it's equally kickass and just plain fun.

No comments: